12 things every guitarist should keep in their case







This last Friday I played my 6th show with my band 13th Agenda. It had been more than a year since I had been on stage in a rock context, and I almost forgot how many things can (and do) go wrong before every show. For starters, we couldn't get our hands on a PA system to save our lives. We tried renting (it was spoken for), buying (the guy sold it before we even got to his house), and borrowing (turns out high schools aren't super enthusiastic about loaning out $3,200 worth of sound equipment). Then our keyboardist's instrument started to go haywire. Not only days but even minutes before the show. And to top it all off, this happened. So yeah, typical world of rock.
But there were a few things that pretty much saved my skin last week. Less than 48 hours before the show, we had a 13 hour rehearsal to compose and clean music. And guess what happened right in the middle of our rehearsal? A string broke. Now, most of you reading this are thinking "big deal, that's an easy fix!" Well, here was the problem. We were on a tight schedule with literally ZERO room for delay. And what's more... It was on my Ibanez with a floating-trem setup. Anyone who knows anything about guitars just cringed. You also may be well aware that your typical floating trem (be it a Floyd Rose or the wonderful Ibanez Edge series), quickly go from a shredder's dream to an intonation nightmare when even one string breaks. You see, the idea of a floating system is based on the tension in the strings equalizing each other and (eventually and after extensive tweaking) evening out to be perfectly in tune at a set "neutral point." When you restring a whole setup like that, it's full blown torture trying to get that neutral point to reach intonational nirvana. Eventually I got it all set up right, and the rehearsal went on without any further problems. Through this experience, I have learned that it is best to be prepared. And that is where this list comes into play. Here are 12 things no guitarist should leave the house without.




1. A Spare Set of Strings (or 2)

This should be an obvious one, and yet this was one that was suspiciously absent from my case. I actually don't know many local guitarists who carry an extra pack on their person. Sure they have a spare set at home, or they can run to the store and grab one. But that's not being prepared. If your car won't start, those jumper cables you left in the garage aren't gonna help you at all. I ran home as soon as that string broke and grabbed my spare. But then problem number two happened... My Ibanez has a reverse headstock, and I've never restrung it before. I wasn't used to giving the lower strings more slack, and as a result, my G and D strings bit the dust before I had finished restringing the poor axe. So, off I went to buy another set. And come my next paycheck, I'm buying two packs of strings for each of my guitars, just so that will never happen again. I advise you all do the same.

2. A String Winder

One day, this will save your life. I'm not kidding. I actually picked up this little number when I bought that second pack of strings. Why? Because anyone who's ever restrung their instrument using only their hands can tell you how time-consuming it is. In my 4 short years of playing, I have easily wasted away a full week or more just changing strings. And I'm not joking. By hand, it's easily an hour ordeal if not more. This little tool shaved that time down to 20 minutes. Yep, less than a quarter of the time. You'll fall in love with it if you use it.

3. Wire Cutters

The string winder I linked you to up there actually has these built in. But if you can't afford 7 bucks for that, you might as well shell out 4 for a nice pair of legit wire cutters. These will help you with more than just strings, too. If you're inclined to mess with the circuitry in your axe/pedals/amp, these are a must. Just make sure you unplug that amp first...

4. An Instrument Workbench Stand

It's a mouthful, but this little guy was the best ten bucks I've ever spent. I just call it a head rest. It's great, though. It props the instrument up just enough to allow easy access to every part of it without having to worry about your guitar slipping out of your lap. I've used this to restring, to adjust setup, and even to work on electronics. It takes a lot of the hassle out of working on your axe.

5. Metronome/Tuner

If you're ever going to go anywhere as a musician, you literally NEED one of these. I personally use a Korg TM-40, as does my bassist. But I've recently borrowed my little sister's Planet Waves PW-CT-08, and I've fallen in love with the thing. Korg will never let you down, but it doesn't have as many subdivision and odd-time signature options as the PW does. And being the prog-metal nut that I am, I think I might have to purchase one soon. For anyone with a floating trem setup, these things are a life saver. Just plug in and adjust your intonation points.

6. A (small) Patch Cable

I just use the stock cable that came with my guitar, but something as small as this would work fine. You just want something small enough to fit in your case, honestly. It's great for testing stuff out in your signal chain, too.




7. A Set of Allen Wrenches

If you've been playing guitar for more than a year, you'll know exactly how handy these are, no matter what kind of guitar you play. Just make sure you know if you need Metric or Imperial, or just grab both. These are handy for all sorts of minute adjustments. The truss rod and bridge saddles are where these will happen most, especially on a floating setup.

8. A Multi-Bit Screw Driver

It sounds weird now, but you'll be glad you have it. Removing panels, adjusting pickups, and going back to the floating setup, adjusting intonation via the screws in the back cavity. And yes, I'm linking you to all these things for a reason.

9. A 9-Volt Battery (or 2. ... or 5)

This isn't necessarily a need depending on your setup, but if you've got active pickups, an acoustic/electric, or a pedal or two that are powered by batteries, you'll want a few spares in your case. It's embarrassing to have one run dead mid-show.

10. Pliers

Yep. Again, something you wouldn't think you'd need until you suddenly do. These are handy for restringing, working on electronics in hard to reach spaces, and for tuning your guitar when the peg breaks off. Just ask the band that opened for us.

11. A variety of Picks.

Okay, this is one we shouldn't have to worry about, but you'd be surprised how many guitarists have asked me if I could lend them a pick, and then subsequently lose it. I myself keep a wide variety in my case for two reasons: 1)tonal/technical purposes (I've got Dunlop Tortex, nylon and Fender shell picks in various thicknesses for tone variety, and I exclusively use Dunlop Jazz III's for my electrics), and 2) to loan to other people.

12. A Spare Guitar

Okay, so maybe you'll want a separate case for this one. But I never come with just one guitar to a gig. And I never will. I always have a backup, because who knows when a string is going to break, or when your electronics are going to short out. Sure, it may not sound or look as good as your main axe because, like me, you're so poor that you know all the best local bridges to sleep under, but look at it this way: I'd rather see a performer crash mid-song cause he broke a string, and then get right back on the horse with a guitar that doesn't play/sound as well, than watch someone crash and proceed to say "heebidy heebidy heebidy- That's all, folks!"

Source article : http://www.examiner.com